Senior Engineer, Performance & Scalability-Java
TD Ameritrade's Senior Mobile Gateway Software Engineer role will be responsible to advance our performance, scaling, and resiliency efforts in the TOS Mobile platform. You would be responsible for developing an understanding of our advanced streaming technologies/patterns to create innovative solutions for us to operate at scale. An understanding of automation, delivery pipelines, and the software development lifecycle will be important to your success. In addition, understanding the theory behind performance testing and key performance metrics will also be critical. Your work would involve working across the full stack – native client-side performance as well the Mobile Gateway system that backs our native client applications – and collaborate with the Performance QA team to manage the environments and tooling. You will also interact closely with our product partners, support teams, and other technical leaders.
What you are good at
- Monitor and support production systems that support the TOS Mobile product
- Learn/understand production performance behavior and develop scenarios to simulate the behavior in performance test runs
- Work with the Performance QA team on test runs to stress the capabilities of the system and identify bottlenecks
- Develop an understanding of mobile context and architecture to identify unique solutions to provide the best client experience in a scalable way
- Identify and collect key performance metrics for the system
- Understand the role of hardware in both production and performance environments and help manage those environments
- Address both client and server-side performance
- Provide solutions for production side monitoring
- Establish a performance & scalability roadmap, execute & communicate updates to stakeholders
What you have
- Linux background with experience in shell scripting
- Java programming experience (at least 5+ years)
- Understanding of performance best practices, performance key metrics, and statistics
- Familiarity with distributed systems and networking
- Experience with troubleshooting/diagnosing JVM issues (e.g. thread dumps, garbage collection and memory management)
- Experience developing on multi-threaded, messaging, and transactional systems
- SQL experience and knowledge on querying relational databases
- DevOps and build automation experience
- Strong analytical, organizational and problem solving/decision making skills
- Must be very detail oriented
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team setting as well as independently with minimal error and guidance
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively across teams and departments
- Ability to draft a plan, socialize for feedback/new input, establish a roadmap & execute providing updates to stakeholders on an established cadence
Why work for us?
Own Your Tomorrow embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees ignite their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in reinventing a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth.
Benefits: A competitive and flexible package designed to empower you for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive and flexible package designed to help you make the most of your life at work and at home—today and in the future. Explore further.
Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. Please click here to see the policy.
Schwab is an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-275-1281.
TD Ameritrade, a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At TD Ameritrade we believe People Matter. We value diversity and believe that it goes beyond all protected classes, thoughts, ideas, and perspectives.