Senior Data Scientist
We are looking for a curious, optimistic, and innovative data scientist who takes initiative to solve problems that help our clients and one another succeed. Our large client base and multi-channel transaction volume offers a fertile data environment to build models, discover new insights, and guide decision-making at Schwab.
Data Science is an enterprise team within the Data, Analytics, and Insight (DAI) organization that builds models and provides advanced analytical support across all business units including retail, institutional, marketing, digital, and operations. Our data scientists collaborate directly with business, product, technology, and other analytical teams in DAI to solve complex business problems by building state-of-the-art models and tools to grow the business, streamline costs, and improve customer experiences.
Workplace Flexibility Program: We're proud to support our employees in a working approach that allows you to bring your best self to work – whether that’s in the office or remote.
- Most Schwabbies have the opportunity to voluntarily work in the office or at home based on their preference, through the remainder of 2021.*
- When the firm is ready to fully return to the office, employees will have the flexibility of a hybrid work environment, spending some time working remote and some time in the office.
- Employees and managers can discuss and decide what works best for them, with additional flexibility available based on their role, business needs, and individual circumstances.
*Subject to change as Schwab is continually evaluating the current environment in order to best care for the safety and well-being of our employees.
What you are good at
Apply critical thinking skills and advanced analytics to solve complex business problems
Translate business partner’s needs into data science projects and help prioritize opportunities based on expected business impact and execution complexity
Drive projects, individually or collaboratively, through the data science lifecycle including data collection, exploration/analysis, model development, validation, and deployment
Seek, build, and consolidate data inputs proactively to create and improve models
Validate, document, and review models with governance and risk stakeholders to ensure they do not cause excessive risk to the company
Develop presentations to communicate key messages to senior sponsors, non-technical partners, and other stakeholders
Collaborate with peers and colleagues to continuously improve the team’s capabilities
What you have
- Quantitative Foundation: B.S. degree in a quantitative field (e.g., Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Engineering).
- Programming: compose clean, understandable, and reproducible code in Python and/or R.
- Machine Learning / Modeling: understand what types of algorithms to use, their benefits and drawbacks, and how to implement them.
- Data Wrangling: write efficient SQL queries from scratch that blend data from dozens of sources in the right form for modeling, analysis, and scoring.
- Statistical Analysis: design research approaches to investigate trends, patterns, and relationships using statistical methods and tests to reach actionable conclusions and understand causal relationships.
- Data visualization: grasp data-ink ratios and bring data-driven stories to life through visuals.
- Curious: bring intellectual curiosity, an inquisitive nature, and a desire to deepen your knowledge and continue learning.
- Business acumen: understand the bigger picture for customers and the business and how to connect your work to key objectives for the organization.
- Storytelling: write and present messages and insights clearly to persuade non-technical partners that they can confidently use our models and solutions.
- Ownership: take responsibility to proactively advance projects, contribute to the organization, and develop the best solutions.
Bonus Points If You Have:
- 5+ years of progressive data science experience
- A graduate degree (Masters or PhD) in a quantitative field
- Experience deploying models into production
- Proficiency using git for version control, collaboration, and releases
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and/or Dataiku
- Working knowledge of Spark, PySpark
- Financial services experience or passion to understand the industry
Why work for us?
Own Your Tomorrow embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees ignite their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in reinventing a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth.
Benefits: A competitive and flexible package designed to empower you for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive and flexible package designed to help you make the most of your life at work and at home—today and in the future. Explore further.
Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. Please click here to see the policy.
Schwab is an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-275-1281.
TD Ameritrade, a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At TD Ameritrade we believe People Matter. We value diversity and believe that it goes beyond all protected classes, thoughts, ideas, and perspectives.