Senior Java Engineer
At Schwab, we aim to transform people’s lives by changing the way the world invests. We design innovative investing solutions for the consumer on Main Street and take pride in our consumer-focused culture of quality and excellence. We are in the midst of re-architecting and rebuilding our core enterprise software platforms to support our rapidly growing and evolving business. Our software engineers are hands-on developers who excel in a dynamic, fast-moving, and agile environment. We are passionate about developing high quality, high performance, and scalable software. Sound like a team you’d like to be a part of? Let’s connect! We have opportunities for full stack, front-end-focused, and back-end focused engineers.
Workplace Flexibility Program: We're proud to support our employees in a working approach that allows you to bring your best self to work – whether that’s in the office or remote.
- Most Schwabbies have the opportunity to voluntarily work in the office or at home based on their preference, through the remainder of 2021.*
- When the firm is ready to fully return to the office, employees will have the flexibility of a hybrid work environment, spending some time working remote and some time in the office.
- Employees and managers can discuss and decide what works best for them, with additional flexibility available based on their role, business needs, and individual circumstances.
*Subject to change as Schwab is continually evaluating the current environment in order to best care for the safety and well-being of our employees.
What you are good at
- Collaborate with product owners and business stakeholders to define strategy and scope of software requirements (decompose stories, design features, and prioritize tasks)
- Deliver new concepts and features, working alongside development peers in an agile environment
- Serve as an informal leader: leading code reviews and mentoring junior team members
- Partner with scrum master and product owner to provide development sizing & cost analysis estimates
- Utilize automated software test tools and frameworks such as test driven development to achieve the highest quality in software delivery
- Support integration efforts to build whole systems from various subsystems
- Identify technology risks early and establish mitigation plans
What you have
- Advanced technical skills:
- Bachelors’ degree in Computer Engineering OR related degree and/or practical experience
- Advanced Java web and service development skills, typically built through 5+ years of applicable experience developing in Java/Spring
- Professional experience developing responsive designs and single page applications
- Experience tuning and maximizing performance for high volume pages
- Experience participating as a member of a scrum team in an agile environment
- Ability to troubleshoot environmental issues
- Advanced people skills:
- Ability to conceptualize the best tactical approach for a team to deliver a project
- Demonstrated ability and interest in coaching and mentoring other engineers
- Ability to lead application and platform architecture design sessions
- Ability to effectively communicate complex architecture designs to both technical and nontechnical audiences
- Effective relationship builder: ability to partner cross-functionally, cross-enterprise and work effectively with various levels of the organization
- Preferred Technical Qualifications:
- Experience with frameworks such as Java, Java Core, JPA, Spring, Hibernate, JSON API and UML (Unified Modeling Language)
- Experience developing/managing REST, OpenAPI and SOAP-based Web Service API(s) in a transaction processing environment
- Experience with distributed multi-tier applications, WMI, NoSQL databases, MongoDB and/or SQL is preferred
- Experience with Cloud Technologies such as Pivotal Cloud Foundry
- Knowledge of Web Content Management System
At Schwab, the Software Developer career path begins with Software Developer I. From there the growth path leads to Software Developer II, III, IV and Senior. Senior developers have two career growth opportunities which include technical leadership or solution architecture roles.
Why work for us?
Own Your Tomorrow embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees ignite their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in reinventing a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth.
Benefits: A competitive and flexible package designed to empower you for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive and flexible package designed to help you make the most of your life at work and at home—today and in the future. Explore further.
Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. Please click here to see the policy.
Schwab is an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, contact Human Resources at email@example.com or call 800-275-1281.
TD Ameritrade, a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At TD Ameritrade we believe People Matter. We value diversity and believe that it goes beyond all protected classes, thoughts, ideas, and perspectives.