Sr. Engineer Manager
As a member of the Advisor Services Technology team, you will be immersed in a collaborative, innovative, and technically challenging environment. We're looking for a Sr. Engineering Manager who is enthusiastic about learning new and existing technologies in order to deliver exceptional software solutions. The role will require strong work ethics, problem solving skills and the ability to partner with business and technologists across the organization. The Advisor Services group is one of the fastest growing and most profitable teams within Schwab and as such requires highly skilled managers to help lead our growing engineering teams and practices. This is a leadership position for multiple teams across disparate locations and technologies.
What you are good at
- Lead technical teams in delivering highly scalable and reliable applications that meet business budgets/timelines while ensuring alignment to strategic technology vision.
- Manage day-to-day activities and influence team members to leverage, follow and support agile software development practices, including the following:
- Develop and document resourcing roadmaps, budgets and schedules
- Ensure teams are properly engaged, aware of career milestones/path, aware of their role on the team and how it relates to others, lastly aware of their contributions to our overall goals
- Lead all recruiting activities across the team (create different avenues when necessary)
- Identify and document the roles, tasks, and responsibilities of each team member
- Track and manage budgets for your teams and tie back to the larger organizational budgets
- Assist the 'Run' and 'Support' teams in building durable systems/applications and ensuring a low MTTR (mean time to resolution).
- Identify gaps/risks early and establish mitigation plans (both technically & with regards to resources)
- Increase the overall visibility of this team; celebrate/track accomplishments and build relationships with key leaders in other groups
- Continually strive for improvements in process, talent acquisition/retention, application time-to-market and quality.
- Provide hands-on technical coding and mentoring when necessary
What you have
Leadership and Management
- 4+ years of leading and/or managing engineering teams, includes project, resource, and offshore management responsibilities.
- Ability to identify, recruit, hire, and build high-performing teams
- Ability to coach, mentor, and provide direct, timely performance feedback
- Proficient managing multiple priorities in a dynamic, geographically dispersed environment
- Deep understanding of SDLC, agile software development methodologies, values, and procedures
- Ability to analyze, propose and implement timely, cost effective, quality solutions for all issues or problems within area of responsibility
- Strong influencing, negotiation, and, problem-solving skills with an ability to identify stakeholders, assess their needs and manage their expectations through effective communication
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (includes ability to compose and deliver technical presentations or other forms of documentation to various levels of technical and non-technical management)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline.
- Experience in Financial Services Industry a plus.
- 8+ year’s of hands-on software development experience including one or more of the following:
- REST-based web services
- Server side applications with either Java or C#
- Experience with SpringBoot and related technologies
- Worked with distributed caching technologies along with No-SQL databases
- Solid systems administration understanding (UNIX, Linux or Windows)
- Knowledge of Platform as a Service (PaaS) along with Git related technologies
Why work for us?
Own Your Tomorrow embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees ignite their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in reinventing a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth.
Benefits: A competitive and flexible package designed to empower you for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive and flexible package designed to help you make the most of your life at work and at home—today and in the future. Explore further.
Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. Please click here to see the policy.
Schwab is an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-275-1281.
TD Ameritrade, a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At TD Ameritrade we believe People Matter. We value diversity and believe that it goes beyond all protected classes, thoughts, ideas, and perspectives.