Solutions Architect, Application Modernization
We're looking for a hardworking technologist to design solutions for and help migrate our legacy mainframe and distributed applications to modern, cloud ready PAAS, IAAS, and SAAS solutions while honoring the vital performance and availability requirements. We need technology architects and engineer who are capable of building next generation technology while also considering the needs of our existing business. We’re building a path to the future, and we’d like you to help us get there.
What you are good at
As a Solutions Architect you are responsible for understanding our next generation application specification, a cloud enabled solution which uses modern technologies (mongo, redis), PaaS solutions (PCF), and public IaaS (GCP, AWS). You’ll also be responsible for designing solutions for legacy applications to migrate to our cloud enabled architecture. You will be a part of building high performance, high availability architectures. You’ll learn how legacy systems function and build plans which enable engineering teams to “change the wheels while the car is in motion”. You'll be a part of Schwab's Application Architecture team: A group of thought leaders responsible for technology strategy (Mobile, Web, Data, Cloud, etc.). Other duties include: Developing macro architectures (conceptual view) diagrams, Software Architecture Documents, participating in architecture forums, developing technical standards and strategies as well as presenting to technology leaders and business executives, providing thought leadership around technical solutions, and collaborating with other technologists on crafting cross-domain solutions.
Solutions Architects work as team members alongside the product leads, technical leads and other supporting team members to deliver a complete solution. You will be a part of a cutting edge team respected for the products they produce and client satisfaction those products support.
If you consider yourself someone whom developers, leads, and architects want to work with and you have the uncanny ability to drive a compelling long-term vision this is an opportunity to build modern cloud enabled applications. This role entails hands-on experience in cloud architectures (SaaS, PaaS and IaaS) and requires deep interest and experience in software platforms.
What you have
- Experience driving strategy through influence with leadership skills which engineers recognize and respect.
- Good judgment and the ability to handle stressful situations.
- Ability to innovate and lead explorations into new technologies and strategies.
- Experience developing software to run at scale in public cloud providers such as GCP or AWS
- Experience with DevOps tools and workflows such as Jira, Bamboo or equivalents
- Experience and successful modernization at large corporations (re-platforming, re-hosting and service enablement)
- Experience with performance engineering and educating teams on non-functional requirements to achieve web scale
- Demonstrable experience designing patterns for moving from legacy environments to cloud and influence strategic direction
- Experience in developing middle ware applications using a variety of modern technologies: Mongo, Redis, SQL Server, Pivotal Cloud Foundry, Rabbit MQ, Angular, Spring.
- Ability to evaluate new technologies, stay ahead of a broad range of industry trends.
- Knowledge of the distributed technology space: languages, frameworks, techniques, industry trends.
- Ability to design the future state and the path to get there, accounting for near-term product deliverables
- Knowledge of HTTP, AMQP, MQTT and other modern protocols.
- Knowledge of API (REST, SOAP).
- Knowledge of .Net and Java.
- Understanding of Databases (including NoSQL), Middleware, Security, Performance tuning of applications.
- Ability (and preference) to work in an Agile environment.
- Ability to influence and effect changes that have broad and long term impact on the firm.
- Ability to develop community of practices to facilitate discussions with technical team on platform-wide considerations, driving improvement and efficiencies, and providing leadership.
- A software engineering background.
- Ability to communicate effectively with engineers and executives.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
Why work for us?
Own Your Tomorrow embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees ignite their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in reinventing a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth.
Benefits: A competitive and flexible package designed to empower you for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive and flexible package designed to help you make the most of your life at work and at home—today and in the future. Explore further.
Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. Please click here to see the policy.
Schwab is an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-275-1281.
TD Ameritrade, a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At TD Ameritrade we believe People Matter. We value diversity and believe that it goes beyond all protected classes, thoughts, ideas, and perspectives.