Systems Engineer - Platform
At Schwab, the Data and Rep Technologies (DaRT) organization leads the strategy, implementation and management of the enterprise data technology. They enable the management of data as assets and the delivery of data along the value-chain across Schwab. They help Marketing, Finance, Risk and various P&Ls make fact-based decisions by integrating and analyzing data as well as operationally leverage data for competitive advantage. The team delivers innovative client experience capability and rich business insight through robust enterprise data-driven capabilities.
Platform Management & Support team within DaRT is seeking an experienced professional to showcase technical expertise and passion. You will be working with a brilliant team of technologists who bring energy, focus and fresh ideas that support our mission to provide value by seeing the world “Through Clients' Eyes”. The key focus of the role will be supporting enterprise class database platforms Teradata & Google BigQuery.
What you are good at
You will be a Software Applications Administrator for Enterprise class database platforms Teradata & Google BigQuery. You will be responsible for the health of the environment; requires prior experience installing, upgrading and supporting on-premise Teradata platform & Cloud data warehouse on Google BigQuery. You will engage and work with Cloud & Platform engineering teams for future environment changes, additional add-on usage.
Details of the role include:
- Managing over 300+ terabytes of data, 4000+ workflows and coordinate with production support teams.
- Support multiple Teradata systems including independent marts, development/UAT, disaster recovery, and the enterprise warehouse.
- Manage/Monitor system performance, including workload management and throttling in TASM, query performance and tuning, physical node behavior, and amp distribution.
- Consult on physical database implementations, PPI, skew analysis; join methods, and data access paths.
- Engage with Teradata GSC in resolving RDBMS related incidents.
- Performance Management focusing on both platform and application efficiencies.
- Implement and administer access policies in conjunction with corporate standards.
- Manage and support, and consult on best practices of storage management, archive, restore, and disaster recovery.
- Innovative mindset and co-creating database architecture to help manage CPU consumption as well as experience in migrating workload to MPP Cloud (Preferably Google BigQuery) and/or BigData environment.
- Resolves database performance issues, database capacity issues, replication, and other distributed data issues.
What you have
Professional Experience & Qualifications:
- 6 - 8 years of experience in Teradata Database Administration and TTU utilities including Teradata Studio and viewpoint
- Experienced in performance optimization techniques and Structured Query Language (SQL) tuning.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Performance Data Collection and Reporting (PDCR) and Database Query Logging (DBQL)
- Ability to write complex Teradata SQL queries, stored procedures, triggers, functions
- Practical experience in managing the internal and external Teradata database security
- Strong understanding of Teradata Load Utilities, MVC, TPT, BTEQ scripts
- High degree of efficiency installing and configuring Teradata systems with Teradata
- Expertise with installing, maintaining, using all the Teradata tools (ex BTEQ, SQL Assistant, TPUMP, TD Administrator, ODBC, MLOAD, Fastload, etc.)
- Knowledge and experience with massively parallel processing (MPP) database platforms such as Teradata, BigQuery, Redshift, or Snowflake for advanced analytical workloads
- Work collaboratively with an operations support team to solve platform related issues
- Experience in ETL tools such as Informatica and Talend & reporting tools such as Tableau and Business objects (BO) is a plus
- Self-motivated individual who takes ownership/accountability
- Positive attitude
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Results oriented
- Hands on and team oriented
- Ability to adjust plan and react as needed
Why work for us?
Own Your Tomorrow embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees ignite their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in reinventing a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth.
Benefits: A competitive and flexible package designed to empower you for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive and flexible package designed to help you make the most of your life at work and at home—today and in the future. Explore further.
Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. Please click here to see the policy.
Schwab is an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-275-1281.
TD Ameritrade, a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At TD Ameritrade we believe People Matter. We value diversity and believe that it goes beyond all protected classes, thoughts, ideas, and perspectives.