2022 Charles Schwab First Line Risk Management Office (1RMO) - Risk and Control Testing Internship
Do you want to spend your summer internship with a company that has been challenging the conventions of the financial services industry for over 45 years? Schwab’s mission is to help our clients build a better future for themselves, their families, and their communities. It is summed up in our tagline – Own your tomorrow – and it permeates everything we do.
The design of the program invites interns to engage directly in Schwab’s culture of service, while challenging them with a blend of learning programs, team-building activities, networking opportunities, and enriching work projects. Features of our 2022 program include:
- Business Track Project: Working with your host business track at Schwab provides an important and valuable experience to translate classroom learning into real business projects.
- Intern Cohort Project: Partner with other interns to brainstorm, discuss learning experiences, and present solutions.
- Learning Activities: Participate in facilitated training, team discussions and events, individual assessments and activities, senior leader meetings, and on-the-job training.
- Dedicated Intern Leader: Receive regular feedback from your leader, participate in career-related discussions, and provide your own feedback.
- Strengths Application: Learn about yourself and how to apply your unique strengths, abilities, and goals to the work you do as part of Schwab’s ‘strengths-based’ culture.
- Networking: Build your network by interacting with professionals across Schwab, including senior leaders, peers, and Schwab Intern Academy Alumni.
Because interns are considered a primary pipeline for full-time opportunities, every intern candidate must be eligible for full-time employment upon graduation and must also meet the following requirements:
- Enrolled in a current undergraduate or graduate program tracking to graduate between December 2022 and May/June 2023
- Ability to work full time and be on-site at assigned Schwab location during the 9-week program (June 6 to August 5, 2022)
- Have specific skills as specified by the hosting Business Track
Schwab is recognized as an industry leader, and our welcoming culture will accept your individuality and partner you with other like-minded and solution-focused students. We will invest in your summer experience by providing you direction and leadership for a robust and well-rounded internship, as well as helping you focus on a potential future career with Schwab.
Regardless of which opportunity you pursue, we will provide you with a consistent and outstanding experience – one you won’t soon forget!
What you are good at
We look for students with:
- Optimism and curiosity, who possess a keen sense of purpose, awareness, and knowledge and who have the demeanor of an everyday leader
- Resourcefulness and flexibility, who enjoy working through cross-functional partnerships and collaboration to achieve a common purpose
- An innovative and questioning demeanor, who constantly look for better ways to do things, have a passion for service, and seek to exceed client expectations
What you have
- A strong desire to build and grow a career in the financial services industry
- Outstanding communication skills (written and oral)
- The courage to ask “why”
As an affirmative action employer, Schwab takes affirmative action to employ qualified minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans in our intern program. As a culture that values Diversity and Inclusion, Schwab encourages the application of Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities and Protected Veterans to the Intern Academy.
There are many different business tracks that you can engage with over the course of the summer. Some of the tracks that will host 2022 interns are:
- Corporate Risk Management
- Digital Services
- Front Line Risk Management
- Human Resources
- Internal Audit
- Investor and Client Service
- Model Risk Management
- Retirement Business Services
- Schwab Asset Management Solutions
- Schwab Branch Network
- Schwab Technology Services
- Workplace Financial Services
You can find additional program information at:
We encourage you to apply for all positions for which you are qualified and interested. To formally apply and be considered, use this link:
2022 First Line Risk Management Office Intern
We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to bring value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for hardworking, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
The First Line Risk Management Office (1RMO) is an independent organization within the first line of defense (1LOD) that supports and enables all first line businesses by creating of efficient and consistent risk management practices, expanding risk assessment knowledge, and ensuring effective integration of risk information across the 1LOD. Two core attributes of the 1LOD group are Centralized Risk Services and Data & Risk Intelligence teams.
The Centralized Risk Services (CRS) team’s primary focus will be assisting in the Retrospective Review process related to Adverse Risk Events that have occurred across the Company, partnering with other members of the (CRS) team to provide rapid responses to regulatory request or other high priority initiatives and supporting business unit level administration of their respective risk and control environment.
The Data & Risk Intelligence (DRI) team is responsible for providing analytics and reporting services across the 1LOD in order to further assist in the risk management process. The primary focus will be analyzing data to provide meaningful analysis to resolve sophisticated business requirements. The intern is expected to apply critical thinking, curiosity, and initiative when completing their work.
What you’ll do:
- Gain an understanding of industry risk and control standards, risk assessment practices, and Schwab’s control environment
- Assists in gathering reporting requirements from key partners by participating in entrance and exit discussions to communicate the testing plans and/or testing outcomes
- Analyzes sophisticated problems and incidents and issues using data, walkthrough meetings, reviewing evidence, and documenting test results from internal and external sources to provide insight to decision makers
- Provides analytical support (create reports, charts, graphs, and presentation) in business requirements
- Assist in closing issues identified during testing by validating that corrective action plans were properly completed, and
- Assist with other projects, as needed, to help 1RMO meet current objectives.
This is a summary only and duties and responsibilities may change during the internship.
What you have:
- Planned graduation date between December 2022 or May/June 2023, earning a degree in Accounting, Finance, Risk Management, Audit, Compliance, Information Systems, Information Technology or related field.
- Curiosity and analytical mentality to learn how the risk ecosystem takes shape in a highly regulated industry
- Ability to build strong relationships and work cross-functionally with business partners
- Strong time management, organization, prioritization, and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated along with the ability to bring projects to conclusion
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills, and
- Solid understanding of Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint preferred
- SQL experience a plus, but not required for a role
What you’ll learn:
- How processes, risks and controls are established to help effectively mitigate risk in complex business and IT processes within the financial services industry
- How to play a significant role on a smaller team to deliver on individual and team goals
- What the Three Lines of Defense model is and how the three lines work together at Schwab
- How to connect with and learn from business partners, team members, and others with varying communication styles and personalities, and
- How to thrive in an exciting environment of tight-knit collaboration to deliver results
Target Total Compensation -$22.00/hour
Your actual pay will be based on your skills and experience -- talk with your recruiter to learn more.
Why work for us?
Own Your Tomorrow embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees ignite their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in reinventing a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth.
Benefits: A competitive and flexible package designed to empower you for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive and flexible package designed to help you make the most of your life at work and at home—today and in the future. Explore further.
Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. Please click here to see the policy.
Schwab is an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-275-1281.
TD Ameritrade, a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At TD Ameritrade we believe People Matter. We value diversity and believe that it goes beyond all protected classes, thoughts, ideas, and perspectives.