SRE Site Reliability Engineer - Trading Technology (Microsoft Stack)
As a Site Reliability Engineer for Schwab's Trading Experience Technology group, you will be responsible for a sustainable approach to reliability using SRE principles. Our team is essential in supporting the operational reliability of real-time trading applications that handles our client trading experience. You will be part of a cohesive 24x7x365 support team whose focus is to work together to resolve problems as they arise and then to implement solutions to prevent the same incidents from occurring again. You will partner with multiple support teams to provide guidance and drive adoption of key reliability engineering practices in support of large-scale and mission-critical services.
We are looking for skilled candidates who are enthusiastic about learning new and existing technologies to deliver exceptional solutions for the production resiliency of our systems. The role will require a high level of responsibility and accountability yet has a support structure necessary for development growth. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of successfully building and supporting enterprise applications.
The role will encompass multiple aspects ranging from resolving production incidents as they are detected to supporting application releases and the deployment pipeline. You will investigate incidents reported by our monitoring or escalation process and work to resolve the incidents affecting our trading application. During Blameless Post-mortem, you will have the opportunities to recommend how to improve monitoring and other processes in our production environment. Return to service activities, on-call rotation, and proactive monitoring are key aspects of this role.
Workplace Flexibility Program:
- We’re proud to support our employees in a working approach that allows you to bring your best self to work – whether that’s in the office or remote.
- When the firm is ready to fully return to the office, employees will have the flexibility of a hybrid work environment, spending some time working remote and some time in the office.
- Employees and managers can discuss and decide what works best for them, with additional flexibility available based on their role, business needs, and individual circumstances.
*Subject to change as Schwab is continually evaluating the current environment in order to best care for the safety and well-being of our employees.
What you are good at
- You are effective in responding to alerts, critical issues, and system recovery events
- You are passionate about eliminating noisy alerts
- You demonstrate courage in protecting our applications and doing what is best for our clients
- You work well with others as everyone on our team has the back of every other member and willing to go the extra mile for each other
- You are a master problem solver and enjoy engineering solutions, often collaborating to achieve the best outcome
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Perform Production support & applications deployments and provide a rapid response for critical trading applications
- Proactively detecting, troubleshooting, and resolving all issues affecting production applications
- Real-Time troubleshooting of mission critical application workflows and participate in On-Call escalations during Market and off hours
- Perform proactive daily system monitoring including reviewing system and application logs
- Monitor and troubleshoot issues across the entire stack - software, application, and network
- Identify applications reliability and availability improvements, establish, and build solutions to continue to drive an improved experience
- Work with development teams to provide feedback and perform recommended upgrades to support our applications availability and reliability
- Advocate and augment the Schwab Reliability Engineering principles, guidelines, and standards
- Foster a culture of learning through education and knowledge sharing around reliability practices, processes, and tools
What you have
- 6+ years of experience with enterprise-scale administration and support in MS Windows Server environments
- Experience with MS Windows Server; preferred experience with C#, .Net and powershell scripting
- Proven track record of enterprise production application support efforts adhering to a mix of DevOps & SRE frameworks
- Experience with logging/application monitoring tools (AppDynamics, Splunk, Zabbix, Dynatrace, Thousand Eyes)
- Proficient in application/web server management
- Knowledge on working with Oracle, SQL Server, Mongo DB, Aerospike.
- Experience with Atlassian tools Jira, Confluence, Bamboo, BitBucket, Agile Frameworks
- Preferred experience with C#, .Net and scripting
- Experience with environment provisioning and deployment automation (Salt/Chef/Puppet)
- Experience with Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (Bamboo, Go or other related tools)
- Understanding of High Availability Enterprise systems, with experience in Window Server administration & leveraging tools to automate proactively and eventually predictive availability solutions
- Knowledge of networking, including DNS, DHCP, firewalls, load balancers and IP routing
- Receptive, approachable teammate, with the ability to positively interact with business partners, technology teams, offshore, and professional services
- Strong customer advocate with excellent written and verbal communication skills
Why work for us?
Own Your Tomorrow embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees ignite their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in reinventing a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth.
Benefits: A competitive and flexible package designed to empower you for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive and flexible package designed to help you make the most of your life at work and at home—today and in the future. Explore further.
Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. Please click here to see the policy.
Schwab is an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-275-1281.
TD Ameritrade, a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At TD Ameritrade we believe People Matter. We value diversity and believe that it goes beyond all protected classes, thoughts, ideas, and perspectives.