Systems Engineer, Application Support
The System Engineer, Application Support will primarily be responsible for maintaining and supporting the TD Ameritrade production applications environment. Some of these environments include Retail Trading, Active Trader, Institutional, and internally client facing systems. Some responsibilities include responding to alerts and escalations, managing the Remedy & Jira Incident Tracking Queue, technical documentation, and independently supporting/configuring complex systems. These responsibilities will expose the associate to a greater support role and a larger impact on the direction and success of their systems.
Workplace Flexibility Program: We’re proud to support our employees in a working approach that allows you to bring your best self to work – whether that’s in the office or remote.
- When the firm is ready to fully return to the office, employees will have the flexibility of a hybrid work environment, spending some time working remote and some time in the office
- Employees and managers can discuss and decide what works best for them, with additional flexibility available based on their role, business needs, and individual circumstances.
*Subject to change as Schwab is continually evaluating the current environment in order to best care for the safety and well-being of our employees.
What you are good at
- Troubleshoot, research, and resolve major defects, questionable functions, errors, and inconsistencies in systems functions, outputs, and content
- Quick response to system monitors, alerts, escalations and all outages
- Provide 24/7 on-call support on rotating schedule including specific designated systems
- Study software documentation to understand our applications business and technical alignment for providing maximum support
- Analyze statistics and Incidents to develop and execute availability improvement plans
- Work with peers and vendors to design technical solutions to complex application issues
- Focus on driving packaged automation scripts to Level I support and reducing manual work involved in Level II
- Focus on service restoration and reducing Mean Time To Restoration (MTTR)
- Provide support guidance and direction for Engineer I associates within Production Support Applications
- Maintain space requirements on servers
- Acquire and master the general skill set required for supporting and restoring services for all management designated applications and system
- Continued comprehension of proprietary systems and subsequent system and procedural updates
- Provide the role of SME for the systems designated by Management
- Communicate to the Management about service disruption and take initial measures for damage control
- Perform routine maintenance on application servers and track system performance
- Recognize opportunities for improved process or procedures & act on them
- Provide outage and service restoration details to Operations Command Center for degradation statistics and root cause analysis
- Provide excellent service to all Production Support clients and business partners
What you have
- 4 year college degree; Computer Science or related field
- 4+ years of related experience
- Ability to correlate symptoms of an issue with procedures in a runbook, and execute on same
- Linux Admin experience a plus
- Scripting (bash, Python, Perl, groovy, etc.)
- SQL and Oracle Database administrative experience
- Java and Middleware Software Support Experience
- Financial Equity and Options Markets Experience a plus particularly with Futures and FOREX
- Strong learning agility, curiosity and problem solving skills
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to act independently with limited supervision within scope of responsibility.
- Leadership skills. Ability to take charge and lead others in service restoration
- Ability to cross train and provide direction for other associates
- Ability to practice Continuous Process Improvement
- Exposure to public (GCP, AWS, Azure), private (PCF) or hybrid cloud technologies a big plus
- Proven skills with software archaeology; the ability to troubleshoot, sometimes without detailed, updated documentation, and without constant guidance
Target Total Compensation - $105,300 - $175,500 per year
Your actual pay will be based on your skills and experience -- talk with your recruiter to learn more
Why work for us?
Own Your Tomorrow embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees ignite their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in reinventing a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth.
Benefits: A competitive and flexible package designed to empower you for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive and flexible package designed to help you make the most of your life at work and at home—today and in the future. Explore further.
Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. Please click here to see the policy.
Schwab is an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-275-1281.
TD Ameritrade, a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At TD Ameritrade we believe People Matter. We value diversity and believe that it goes beyond all protected classes, thoughts, ideas, and perspectives.