Senior Service Designer
The Operational Services organization at Schwab partners with teams across the firm to deliver on service promises to Schwab clients. We are responsible for protecting and safeguarding the assets of the firm and our clients while continuing to increase scalability and efficiency.
Within Operational Services, the Business Process Transformation (BPT) team is a cross-functional group that is helping to drive transformation across Operational Services and the broader firm. We use a variety of methodologies, tools and capabilities to drive large-scale change.
As a Senior Product Designer within BPT, you will play a critical role in realizing the firm’s goals to efficiently and effectively deliver world-class value to meet our client’s financial goals. Your expertise will be used to uncover internal and external user needs to identify and improve processes using voice of the customer, user research and design thinking. You will partner with business, technology, risk, data and platform subject matter experts from across the firm to help define the product vision that delivers value that aligns with the firm’s Smart Processing goals.
What you are good at
Service Design and Process Mapping
- Working reciprocally with business partners and Subject Matter Authorities across business and technology teams in order to accurately and completely document processes and service journeys, both current and future state
- Facilitating information gathering sessions and workshops with Subject Matter Authorities to gain exchanged views of current state processes. You are confident using virtual whiteboarding tools such as Miro or Mural as well as in-person whiteboarding
- Researching and documenting business rules, applications, data use & risks
- Validating and communicating the details of “current-state” process maps and service blueprints with subject matter authorities and key partners
- Documenting and ensuring process maps are documented in standard formats
- Understanding and documenting the lifecycle of a client request from initiation to completion by conducting research interviews, observing operations and service representatives, collecting and analyzing operational and customer data, and assessing current state process documentation
- Learning how our reps use our tools to serve our clients and advisors and finding opportunities to improve processes and reduce or remove difficult points and automation blockers
- Using UX and process metrics such as cycle times, task analysis, internal NPS and survey data to quantify opportunities
Process Analysis and Fact Base Development
- Working with business partners and SMEs to define current state by creating and compiling current state fact base including process maps, difficult points, manual requirements/interventions (dependencies for automation), cross-platform initiatives, and operational data
- Identifying and prioritizing process improvement opportunities – identifying current state improvement opportunities aligned to program levers (automation, digitization, efficiency) and facilitating prioritization among partner team by expected impact and level of effort.
- Using Design Thinking methodologies with our Subject Matter Experts and Technology partners to clearly define the problem and then collectively build a “future state” solution
- Rethinking and reimagining processes and driving for detailed solutions, rather than repeated marginal enhancements. Focusing on redesign for automation and straight-through processing while delivering measurable value for our clients and advisors
- Ensuring that the “future state” aligns to Key Performance Indicator’s that deliver on the broader Schwab goals
- Modeling impacts/business case development for prioritized opportunities – estimating expected financial benefits of implementing Smart Processing improvements in priority areas
What you’ll produce
- Current State Process maps and/or Service Blueprints to define the current state and align partners on problem definition
- Empathy and Journey maps to identify key difficult points and support exchanged views of the end-to-end process and client journey to facilitate empathy into the overall product design
- Automation blocker reports to find opportunities for future automation
- Work with our data and product management teams to create a benefits model report that aligns future state features that deliver measurable value for the business
What you have
- 8+ years work experience on large transformation initiatives focused on process design, process improvement, and automation is required, preferably with a consulting firm or within the financial services industry
- Human centered design experience
- Strong facilitator able to effectively collaborate with business, product, platform, architecture, infrastructure, data, change management, legal and compliance, and other teams to deliver business value
- Experience working with process automation environments, such as those employing workflow automation, robotic process automation, artificial intelligence or machine learning
- Expertise in, and proven application success with, Agile, Lean or Service Design and other similar frameworks
- Superior analytical capabilities and the ability to handle multiple projects
- Excellent problem-solving skills to find reciprocal solutions that solve root causes
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal, as well as the ability to develop concise and effective communications tailored to specific audiences
At Schwab, “Own Your Tomorrow” embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees unleash their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in disrupting a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth. We’re a modern financial services firm that stands apart from the industry, where you can go as far as your ambition takes you.
Hear from employees: What’s it like to work at Schwab!
The benefits of working at Schwab : a package designed to empower your health, wealth, career and life. Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. (Please click here to see policy.)
Schwab is also an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. We believe diversity and inclusion are part of our success as a company and our purpose of serving every client with passion and integrity.