Technical Architect - Software Development & Engineering
Schwab's Bank Technology organization is hiring a results-oriented and talented technologist with a strong track record of technology-enabled business delivery. Our main goal at Schwab is to transform people’s lives by changing the way the world invests. The Reference Data, Billing & Bank Technology (RDBBT) group provides Securities Reference Data (Fundamental data & Security Master data) and Enterprise Corporate Billing and Banking business capabilities to Schwab’s Retail and Institutional businesses by developing innovative, unique-in-class investment products.
Schwab's Bank Technology Technical Architect, Software Development & Engineering will drive, collaborate and influence the modernization of our mission critical Banking software services. We are in the process of modernizing our Banking & integration platforms and looking for a change agent leader who will thrive in influencing, challenging the status quo and, inspiring and collaborating with a team of highly motivated and talented technicians in meeting our business-driven technology objectives.
What you are good at
Bank Technology organization within RDBBT is responsible for technology strategy and core integration services for banking solutions. Bank Tech manages Data and API infrastructure that integrates Schwab managed client facing channels and vendor managed core banking solutions. It is built across a disparate, bi-modal technology stack, encompassing mainframe (Cobol) and distributed (Java, Oracle, Cloud, WAS), contributing to billions of dollars in revenue for Schwab across multiple lines of business.
Your primary responsibility is to ensure solution architecture and designs are implemented in a manner which meets all business requirements as well as maintains alignment to all applicable technology and quality standards. This role typically demonstrates a moderate-to-high degree of complexity due to:
- A wide array of stakeholders (product owners, architects, governance facilitators, developers, testers, etc.)
- A wide array of full-stack technologies (UI, middleware, database, messaging, caching, etc.)
- A wide array of SDLC activity engagement / awareness (design, development, testing, packaging, deployment, day two operations)
- Knowledge of complex back office systems
As a Principal you will play a critical role in developing and maintaining the platform level technology strategy, providing strategic and architectural guidance and influencing the development and realization of a technology vision to modernize our core functions that support Schwab’s Broker Dealer business.
- Partner with Solution Architects and Platform Architects to ensure implementations meet the solution architecture and design.
- Partners with product owners and governance facilitators
- Mentors development team and provides guidance that aligns with enterprise patterns and standards
- Understand technology trends and the practical application of existing, new, and emerging technologies to enable new and evolving business and operating models.
- Understand, advocate and augment the platform principles, guidelines and standards
- Analyze the business-IT environment (run, grow and transform the business) to detect critical deficiencies, and recommend solutions for improvement (systems of record, differentiation and innovation).
- Provide oversight and guidelines to meet STS standards and guidelines e.g. Architecture, Production Environment Control, Change Management, Definition of Done etc.
- Assist with introduction of new technologies by implementing Proof of Concept’s (PoC).
- Consistently evolve our Dev Ops implementation, integrating test automation.
What you have
Minimum Qualification requirements:
- Minimum of eight years (8) of experience in at least two IT solution development disciplines, including technical architecture, middleware, database management, building complex, resilient and highly scalable applications, or operations. With application development being a focus. Prefferably Java distributed and/or cloud systems.
- Exposure to multiple, diverse technologies and processing environments
- 5+ years of experience in Financial Services Industry is preferred
- Good understanding of strategic and new and emerging technology trends, and the practical application of existing, new and emerging technologies to new and evolving business and operating models
- Understanding of agile methods and processes, and capability of supporting agile project teams by providing advice and guidance on opportunities, impact and risks, taking account of technical and architectural debt
- Experience with large enterprise level systems and managing data at scale
Target Total Compensation - $135,000 - $220,000 per year
Your actual pay will be based on your skills and experience -- talk with your recruiter to learn more
Why work for us?
Own Your Tomorrow embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees ignite their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in reinventing a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth.
Benefits: A competitive and flexible package designed to empower you for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive and flexible package designed to help you make the most of your life at work and at home—today and in the future. Explore further.
Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. Please click here to see the policy.
Schwab is an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-275-1281.
TD Ameritrade, a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At TD Ameritrade we believe People Matter. We value diversity and believe that it goes beyond all protected classes, thoughts, ideas, and perspectives.