Sr. Software Engineer
We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. Our goal, as seen through clients' eyes, is that Schwab continuously improves on being a premier financial service provider through best in class service, technology, products, people and advice.
We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
The PC Core Technology (PCCT) Team represents a centralized domain responsible for managing holdings, investment performance, and automated re-balancing across the universe of investment portfolios within Schwab. The PCCT Development team is looking for a Senior Staff Software Development Technical Lead who will excel leading a scrum team in a dynamic fast-paced environment. PCCT offers a wide range of technology opportunities for the best and brightest people to grow and demonstrate their skills as they develop high-performance financial applications. The right candidate will have experience with Development best practices, like SOLID principles, and proven experience performing all Development related functions; including, but not limited to: following coding standards, unit test creation and code reviews. The right candidate will enjoy being part of a highly interactive, Agile team. PCCT offers a wide range of technology opportunities for the best and brightest people to grow and demonstrate their skills as they develop high-performance financial applications.
Workplace Flexibility Program: We're proud to support our employees in a working approach that allows you to bring your best self to work – whether that’s in the office or remote.
- Most Schwabbies have the opportunity to voluntarily work in the office or at home based on their preference, through the remainder of 2021.*
- When the firm is ready to fully return to the office, employees will have the flexibility of a hybrid work environment, spending some time working remote and some time in the office.
- Employees and managers can discuss and decide what works best for them, with additional flexibility available based on their role, business needs, and individual circumstances.
*Subject to change as Schwab is continually evaluating the current environment in order to best care for the safety and well-being of our employees.
What you are good at
This position is a technical leadership position that combines regular software development and team facilitation. The tech lead will be expected to lead a high-performing team and deliver high quality releases in a fast-paced agile development environment. This role will also be responsible for helping unblock the rest of the team so that they can work efficiently on their assigned tasks. In addition, the tech lead will help drive cross team technical initiatives and adoption of modern SDLC best practices. Lastly, the tech lead will mentor junior developers and testers in the team to help them grow.
- Facilitating communication of requirements, scoping and design decisions between team members, architects and product owners.
- Working closely with architects and business partners to define Agile stories for new capabilities.
- Participating in product roadmap discussion and long term planning for your team.
- Developing tools and practices that will increase the efficiency of your team.
- Leading design and implementation of new stories and bug fixes.
- Performing thorough design reviews and code reviews.
- Hands on coding, unit testing and production issue troubleshooting.
- Mentoring junior staff in the team and helping them reach their career goals.
- Being the main point of contact and subject matter experts on your product domain.
What you have
- 2+ years’ experience working as a tech lead or any role in that capacity.
- 7+ years’ experience developing commercial application on Windows platforms using C#/C++ and .NET.
- 3+ years’ experience developing web services – preferably REST services. Very strong object oriented design skills with proven track record of well-engineered design.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Self-starter who can grasp difficult concepts and large architectures quickly and contribute at the architectural and coding levels.
- 3+ years programming experience with NoSQL and/or SQL databases o Experience with unit testing and history of successful driving quality strategy.
- Experience and a desire to mentor peers and junior staff.
- Capability and strong desire to be a technical leader within a scrum environment.
- BS or higher in computer science or related technical field.
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies is a plus.
- Familiarity with Atlassian tool stack (Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, Bamboo) is a plus.
- Experience with LINQ, Message Bus and Mongo DB is a plus.
- Prior Financial Services experience is a plus
- Familiarity with Micro-Services architecture and Cloud technology is a plus.
What you’ll get:
- Everyday Wellness: Healthy Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Choices, Wellness Champions
- Financial Fitness: 401k Match, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life
Learn more about Life@Schwab.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. All applications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status (disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans), or based on any individual’s status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Why work for us?
Own Your Tomorrow embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees ignite their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in reinventing a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth.
Benefits: A competitive and flexible package designed to empower you for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive and flexible package designed to help you make the most of your life at work and at home—today and in the future. Explore further.
Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. Please click here to see the policy.
Schwab is an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, contact Human Resources at email@example.com or call 800-275-1281.
TD Ameritrade, a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At TD Ameritrade we believe People Matter. We value diversity and believe that it goes beyond all protected classes, thoughts, ideas, and perspectives.