Director, Business Management Consultant
Schwab Advisor Services, a division of Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is the leading provider of custody, trading, technology and practice management to registered independent advisory firms (RIAs). It provides access to sophisticated wealth-management services that help advisors attract and retain affluent clients, as well as profitably grow, compete and succeed in their business efforts. Schwab Advisor Services’ approximately 7,000 registered independent advisors manage approximately $1 trillion of assets in over 1.3 million accounts at Schwab.
The Business Consulting and Education (BCE) team is part of Schwab Advisor Services and creates and delivers high-quality, industry-leading consulting and education programs that help advisors establish and better manage their businesses, in addition to helping them plan and prepare for the future. The key to the team’s success lies in its ability to create highly relevant and scalable programs that turn practice management insights into useful plans that are implemented with new and existing advisors. These programs are delivered by a nationwide team of experienced consultants who work closely with advisors and the Schwab team to deliver interactive workshops as well as a high-touch consulting experience for our clients. The BCE team also produces white papers on a range of practice management issues in addition to creating resources to help advisors navigate compliance requirements.
What you are good at
Schwab’s practice management strategy is to deliver high quality programs around common strategic challenges faced by nearly all advisory firms. The Business Consultant delivers that content through interactive workshops, and then works with Schwab’s Relationship Managers to engage individual clients in a consulting engagement. The consulting engagement is focused on implementing change in the client organizations in order to improve performance across one of several areas of focus, typically impacting either revenue growth, profitability or business succession.
A Registered Investment Adviser (RIA) is similar to many other small businesses – they have to balance their passion for the business (providing financial peace of mind) with the operational challenges of managing and growing their business. As a business owner, they are faced with numerous challenges that impact the health, profitability and longevity of their firm such as:
- Differentiating from the competition so they can retain and attract clients
- Growing their business at above-market growth rates
- Aligning all of their employees along a single vision to provide for consistency in messaging and service, and ultimately for delivering high levels of customer service and delight
- Optimizing profitability across their various client segments
- Preparing their business to be transitioned to the next generation of leadership.
The Business Consultant is instrumental in helping advisors address all of these critical growth, productivity and profitability management challenges. The Business Consultant helps the advisors with the operational aspects of the business so the advisors can focus on what they do best – help their clients manage their wealth. Working in collaboration with Schwab’s Relationship Managers, the Business Consultant is responsible for conducting consulting engagements and working with advisors to develop and implement meaningful changes in their individual firms. A consulting engagement typically lasts a few months and requires several meetings with the client. Most engagements are conducted in the advisor’s office and travel is required to meet with clients across the region. The goal goes beyond just imparting knowledge and recommendations to the advisor: it is about implementing specific steps and actions items within an advisory firm to positively change the outcome.
What you have
For you to succeed in the role, you will need to:
- Quickly establish a strong rapport with clients where they respect your expertise, listen to your ideas and trust that you are looking out for their best interests
- Create a positive outcome in your consulting engagements so clients and their businesses are much better off after having worked with you
- Develop strong internal relationships with your Schwab colleagues
- Listen well so you can customize your recommendations and implementation steps to address a specific client, as every client will bring their own unique situation and set of challenges.
- Be well organized and successfully lead multiple projects at once, know the next steps you need to take with each client, and keep the positive momentum going with each engagement
- Have well-developed presentation and sales skills. Be comfortable presenting to senior executives.
- Be a positive instigator and make things happen, especially when it is easy to stall or delay. Be creative and persistent in overcoming obstacles, whether internally or externally.
- Be a major reason why clients continue to stay and grow with Schwab.
- Have the skills and ability to contribute to those who have spent their lives in the advisory world
- Have a combination of 10+ years of experience in sales, relationship management, consulting or other client facing roles
- Have an MBA and/or a clear understanding of business fundamentals (e.g., financial statements, business functions, organization structure)
- Ability to travel at least 50% depending on client needs
Why work for us?
Own Your Tomorrow embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees ignite their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in reinventing a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth.
Benefits: A competitive and flexible package designed to empower you for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive and flexible package designed to help you make the most of your life at work and at home—today and in the future. Explore further.
Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. Please click here to see the policy.
Schwab is an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, contact Human Resources at email@example.com or call 800-275-1281.
TD Ameritrade, a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At TD Ameritrade we believe People Matter. We value diversity and believe that it goes beyond all protected classes, thoughts, ideas, and perspectives.