2022 Charles Schwab Corporate Risk Management Undergraduate Internship
Do you want to spend your summer internship with a company that has been challenging the conventions of the financial services industry for over 45 years? Schwab’s mission is to help our clients build a better future for themselves, their families, and their communities. It is summed up in our tagline – Own your tomorrow – and it permeates everything we do.
The design of the program invites interns to engage directly in Schwab’s culture of service, while challenging them with a blend of learning programs, team-building activities, networking opportunities, and enriching work projects. Features of our 2022 program include:
- Business Track Project: Working with your host business track at Schwab provides a meaningful and valuable experience to translate classroom learning into real business projects.
- Intern Cohort Project: Partner with other interns to brainstorm, discuss learning experiences, and present solutions.
- Learning Activities: Participate in facilitated training, team discussions and events, individual assessments and activities, senior leader meetings, and on-the-job training.
- Dedicated Intern Leader: Receive regular feedback from your leader, participate in career-related discussions, and provide your own feedback.
- Strengths Application: Learn about yourself and how to apply your unique strengths, abilities, and goals to the work you do as part of Schwab’s ‘strengths-based’ culture.
- Networking: Build your network by interacting with professionals across Schwab, including senior leaders, peers, and Schwab Intern Academy Alumni.
Because interns are considered a primary pipeline for full-time opportunities, every intern candidate must be eligible for full-time employment upon graduation and must also meet the following requirements:
- Enrolled in a current undergraduate or graduate program tracking to graduate between December 2022 and May/June 2023
- Ability to work full time and be on-site at assigned Schwab location during the 9-week program (June 6 to August 5, 2022)
- Have specific skills as specified by the hosting Business Track
Schwab is recognized as an industry leader, and our welcoming culture will embrace your individuality and partner you with other like-minded and solution-focused students. We will invest in your summer experience by providing you direction and leadership for a robust and well-rounded internship, as well as helping you focus on a potential future career with Schwab.
Regardless of which opportunity you pursue, we will provide you with a consistent and outstanding experience – one you won’t soon forget!
What you are good at
We look for students with:
- Optimism and curiosity, who possess a keen sense of purpose, awareness, and knowledge and who have the demeanor of an everyday leader
- Resourcefulness and flexibility, who enjoy working through cross-functional partnerships and collaboration to achieve a common purpose
- An innovative and questioning demeanor, who constantly look for better ways to do things, have a passion for service, and seek to exceed client expectations
What you have
- A strong desire to build and grow a career in the financial services industry
- Outstanding communication skills (written and oral)
- The courage to ask “why”
As an affirmative action employer, Schwab takes affirmative action to employ qualified minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans in our intern program. As a culture that values Diversity and Inclusion, Schwab encourages the application of Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities and Protected Veterans to the Intern Academy.
There are many different business tracks that you can engage with over the course of the summer. Some of the tracks that will host 2022 interns are:
- Corporate Risk Management
- Digital Services
- Front Line Risk Management
- Human Resources
- Internal Audit
- Investor and Client Service
- Model Risk Management
- Retirement Business Services
- Schwab Asset Management Solutions
- Schwab Branch Network
- Schwab Technology Services
- Workplace Financial Services
You can find additional program information at:
We encourage you to apply for all positions for which you are qualified and interested. To formally apply and be considered, use this link:
Corporate Risk Management Departments:
Compliance is a growing and dynamic field within the financial services industry. The Compliance Track of Schwab’s Intern Academy is offering a vibrant and unique intern opportunity in either: Austin, TX, Westlake, TX, or Chicago, IL.
Compliance touches every facet of the financial services industry. The Compliance intern will have the opportunity to work with business partners throughout the organization to help identify, forecast and mitigate risk to our clients and the Firm. Project opportunities are designed and executed with a focus on achieving results.
Financial Crimes Risk Management
Financial Crimes Risk Management (FCRM) is a growing and dynamic field within the financial services industry. FCRM is part of Corporate Risk Management and is comprised of Fraud Risk Management, FCRM Shared Services, the BSA/AML Program, Transformation & Innovation Office, Financial Crimes Modeling & Prevention Strategies and Conduct Risk Management. FCRM assists all Schwab enterprises in the assessment of BSA/AML, Sanctions, Fraud and Conduct risk presented to our business units.
Corporate Operational Risk (COR)- Operational Risk Liaison (ORL) Track
Corporate Operational Risk (COR) is a growing and dynamic field within the financial services industry. COR is part of Corporate Risk Management and is comprised of Operational Risk Liaisons, Data Risk Management, Third Party Risk Management, Operational Risk Testing, and Operational Risk Program Office to name a few. COR’s vision is to “minimize operational risk impacts across Charles Schwab Corporation and all subsidiaries and affiliates.”
The COR-ORL track intern will be part of the Operational Risk Liaison (ORL) team which is responsible for providing effective challenge, consultation, oversight, and guidance to business unit (BU) management for the assessment, monitoring, and management of operational risk.
Technology Risk Management
A culture of risk management is fundamental to the business of The Charles Schwab Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates (CSC or Firm). At Schwab, we manage risk by adopting a three lines of defense model with the roles and responsibilities for each of the lines of defense clearly established, documented, and communicated. Within Technology Risk Management (TRM), our mission is to oversee and challenge the firm’s information technology, security and resilience practices and policies to effectively manage technology and business continuity risks within the Firm’s risk appetite.
Third Party Risk Management (TPRM) Track
Third Party Risk Management (TPRM) is a growing and dynamic field within the financial services industry that covers a broad spectrum of risk disciplines and risk management practices. At Schwab, TPRM is part of Operational Risk Management, which is part of Corporate Risk Management, Schwab’s “second line of defense”. The TPRM team comprises Third Party Governance and Reporting, Third Party Compliance, Vendor Technology and Resiliency Management, and Third Party Program Management. TPRM’s vision is to “maintain a world class third-party risk management program that drives value to Schwab’s clients and protects the Firm through identifying, assessing, and overseeing risks related to Schwab’s reliance on third parties to provide services, products, and activities in support of Schwab’s vision and values.”
Target Total Compensation -$25.00/hour
Your actual pay will be based on your skills and experience -- talk with your recruiter to learn more.
Why work for us?
Own Your Tomorrow embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees ignite their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in reinventing a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth.
Benefits: A competitive and flexible package designed to empower you for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive and flexible package designed to help you make the most of your life at work and at home—today and in the future. Explore further.
Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. Please click here to see the policy.
Schwab is an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-275-1281.
TD Ameritrade, a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At TD Ameritrade we believe People Matter. We value diversity and believe that it goes beyond all protected classes, thoughts, ideas, and perspectives.