Managing Director, Head of ESG Policy and Reporting
Schwab is seeking an experienced Attorney to join its legal department in Westlake, TX as the new Managing Director, Head of Environmental, Social and Governance Policy and Reporting (MD, ESG). The role will report to the Chief Counsel of Schwab’s Finance, Securities and Corporate Governance Legal Group. The MD, ESG along with a dedicated team expected to include two additional legal and/or paralegal roles, will head up a newly formed ESG Policy and Reporting Office (ESG Office) managing ESG reporting and related internal and external stakeholder engagement. The MD, ESG will also serve as a key advisor to business partners, executive management, and the corporate board of directors.
The ESG Office and its leadership will play a key role in the advancement of the firm's Citizenship initiatives, driving long-term growth and sustainable value for our shareholders and other stakeholders building the foundation and internal alignment for future years’ reporting across the business on key ESG topics, and the assessment, reporting and integration of ESG considerations into business strategy. As an advocate internally and externally, the MD, ESG will help promote the expression of Schwab’s Vision and Values through an ESG lens and share Schwab’s impact story as a corporate citizen.
As a thought leader, and a highly visible reporting officer for the firm, the MD, ESG will need to manage across enterprise and organizational lines to build and operationalize a comprehensive reporting process, coordinate strategy, garner consensus, and ensure alignment of disclosure, messaging, and advocacy. As trusted advisor to business partners, executive management and the board, this role requires seasoned judgment, strategic focus and objective perspective, the ability to see the entire landscape – the company, financial markets, investment community and wider community, and regulatory, competitive, reputational, and political dynamics – and balance and weight the competing priorities and disparate expectations of various stakeholders.
What you are good at
- Managing disclosure related to the firm's ESG commitments and performance, including development and preparation of the annual ESG/Corporate Citizenship Report; and in collaboration with securities counsel and External Reporting, ESG disclosures in SEC reporting, including 10-K/Qs and annual shareholder proxy statement.
- Monitoring and research regarding disclosure regulation and standards under ESG reporting frameworks and institutional shareholder and investment analyst and proxy advisor criteria.
- Thought leadership and in-house expert on all aspects of ESG disclosure, governance, peer analysis and best practices, closely following legal, regulatory, and market developments to inform the company’s strategic planning and enhance its dialogue with stakeholders.
- Legal advice and counseling relating to the Company’s ESG initiatives and activities, and legal review of marketing collateral, PR, executive presentations, and other public communications.
- Supporting Investor Relations and the Corporate Secretary’s Office with advocacy, outreach and response to stockholders and the broader investment community, including research analysts and proxy advisory firms, and with respect to investor presentations.
- Supporting Legislative Affairs and RLO with advocacy and responses to regulators and legislative bodies.
- Supporting Corporate Communications with general and social media inquiries, issues management, and Corporate Citizenship and public advocacy; and serving as a central source of data and support for requests from the business for periodic and ad hoc requests for information related to our ESG profile from clients, RIAs and corporate clients.
What you have
- 12+ years of relevant in-house experience in corporate governance and securities law
- Financial services industry-specific experience is a plus
- Proven leadership strengths and experience managing diverse, high functioning teams.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Strong leadership, supervisory, organizational and project management skills
- Excellent partnering skills – a team player with the ability to lead and collaborate cross-functionally to achieve enterprise-wide results
- Strong facilitation skills – an open communicator comfortable gathering and exchanging feedback and the sharing of ideas
- Excellent advocacy, influence, oral and written communication skills –effective in representing and advocating on behalf of the company
- Critical thinking and analytical skills, and experience with integrating legal theory into business practice
Why work for us?
Own Your Tomorrow embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees ignite their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in reinventing a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth.
Benefits: A competitive and flexible package designed to empower you for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive and flexible package designed to help you make the most of your life at work and at home—today and in the future. Explore further.
Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. Please click here to see the policy.
Schwab is an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-275-1281.
TD Ameritrade, a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At TD Ameritrade we believe People Matter. We value diversity and believe that it goes beyond all protected classes, thoughts, ideas, and perspectives.