Senior Mainframe Software Engineer
Our main goal here at Schwab is to transform people’s lives by changing the way the world invests. Schwab’s Custody, Asset Services, Settlements and Transfer of Assets (CAST) organization is recruiting to hire a results-oriented and talented Senior Software Engineer who shares our passion in delivering innovative technology solutions to meet business needs. CAST is part of the Cash & Stock Solutions, BP&T (Balance, Positions, and Transactions(CSSB) and Broker Dealer Integration Technology Services group which provides Move Money, Asset Servicing, Backend Books and Records, and other Core Brokerage business capabilities to Schwab’s Retail and Institutional businesses. CAST has a significant portion of its technology assets based on legacy mainframe technology and has started transitioning its Transfer of Assets and Corporate Actions capabilities to a modern, distributed set of applications. We are looking for a talented technologist with domain/functional knowledge in the financial services industry. Exposure to Corporate Actions will be a plus. The successful candidate excels in a dynamic and fast paced Agile environment and is passionate about building high quality scalable software. You should have significant experience in designing, coding and supporting/maintaining Mainframe applications and enjoy sharing your knowledge and supporting your peers move from a legacy Mainframe infrastructure to the distributed world.
What you are good at
As a Senior Software Applications engineer in the CAST group you will:
- Acquire deep domain/functional knowledge of the Corporate Actions domain area and the applications we have in place to support the Business needs
- Be a technology lead for the Corporate Action Domain
- Lead all processes of the SDLC and be accountable for all deliverables
- Provide support in troubleshooting and remediating issues occurring in Production
- Work on business user stories involving Analysis, Design and Development project tasks
- Be the business liaison creating and fostering strong partnerships with Product Owners and Business Users, ensuring appropriate prioritization of User Stories with a view to delivering to Business needs and priorities
- Sustain desirable practice of ensuring that the following Software Development Life Cycle guidelines are observed:
- Analysis and Design: Adhere to tight design document review process among peers; Be part of the Local Governance forum and review Design and System Architecture Documents
- Code Development: Employ more robust & thorough formal code reviews focused on the quality of the code and ensuring coding standards are followed
- Testing: Implementation of stronger unit testing, integration testing, regression testing, and QA testing strategies
- Comply with STS Standards and policies and engage STS Architectural Governance bodies for review and alignment with technology strategy for all new work efforts
- Partner closely with architects and management in the evolution and execution of technical roadmap/blueprint for our application domain
- Discuss data and reporting requirements with architects and business partners for all projects and small enhancements.
- Follow all data governance approval processes, with focus on formal data governance activities for areas governed by Enterprise data governance
- Support the STS application modernization efforts by finding opportunities to advance modernization efforts
- Meet our commitments for Audit and Compliance. Review exceptions quarterly
- Contribute more at cross track, large sized, cross functional meetings and address them as the Technology Lead.
- Be responsible for the quality delivery of the software backlog, end to end
- Utilize automated software test tools and frameworks as necessary to achieve quality standards
- Identify technology risks early and establish mitigation plans
- Leverage, practice and support Agile software development practices
- Collaborate with all relevant Technology and Business team members and Project Stakeholders and build long lasting, trusted relationships based on the quality and commitment of your deliverables
What you have
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- Professional Experience
- Approximately 15+ years of solid Development experience, with a significant portion in the Mainframe space utilizing technologies listed in the “Technical Experience” section below. Mainframe space utilizing technologies listed in the “Technical Experience” section below
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work
with remote and globally distributed teams
- Be self-motivated, driven, and passionate in resolving complex and time-sensitive
business problems through simple and innovative technical solutions. Must demonstrate a knack to figuring out solutions to complex problems
- Ability to independently work as a contributing member in a high-paced and focused team
- Passionate about technical mentoring of junior staff and peers
- Experience serving in the role of technical lead on an agile scrum team is a plus
- Prior experience in financial services industry with knowledge of Broker/Dealer functions is a significant plus
a. Languages: COBOL, CICS, SQL, EZTRIEVE, JCL
b. Database Management Systems: DB2, DATACOM
c. Tools: CHANGEMAN, XPEDITER, REMEDY, CONTROL-M, JIRA, STARTOOL, SPUFI, BMC Utility, OMEGAMON, SPLUNK, MQs (IBM & Rabbit)
d. Distributed (preferred): JAVA, SQL Server, MongoDB, Aerospike, RabbitMQ, Bitbucket,
Veracode, Launch Darkly, KAFKA, etc.
e. Exposure to cloud architecture principles like 12 factor etc.
f. Familiarity with continuous integration /continuous delivery (CI/CD) techniques
Target Total Compensation - $110,000 - $201,600
Your actual pay will be based on your skills and experience -- talk with your recruiter to learn more.
Why work for us?
Own Your Tomorrow embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees ignite their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in reinventing a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth.
Benefits: A competitive and flexible package designed to empower you for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive and flexible package designed to help you make the most of your life at work and at home—today and in the future. Explore further.
Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. Please click here to see the policy.
Schwab is an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, contact Human Resources at email@example.com or call 800-275-1281.
TD Ameritrade, a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At TD Ameritrade we believe People Matter. We value diversity and believe that it goes beyond all protected classes, thoughts, ideas, and perspectives.