Generalist Research Analyst
Charles Schwab Corporation is one of the largest financial services company in the US with close to $5 Trillion in Assets and known for its innovation and putting clients first. Schwab was recently selected as one of the Top 50 companies on the 2020 “World’s Most Admired Companies”. The overall SAMS (Schwab Asset Management Solutions) team is passionately committed to providing solutions that help Schwab clients achieve their financial goals and includes:
- Charles Schwab Investment Management (CSIM)
- Charles Schwab Investment Advisory (CSIA)
- Schwab Center for Financial Research (SCFR)
These groups act as our investment advisor, provide our research, product and sales functions, include our proprietary managed accounts, e.g., Schwab Intelligent Portfolios, and our insights group.
The Schwab Center for Financial Research (SCFR) is responsible for research, analysis, and commentary on investments, market, financial planning, retirement planning, and topics of interest to clients and advisors. To do this, we read, research, analyze, and write about these topics, to help retail clients turn research (and Insights) into action to achieve the desired results and to help our internal investment teams with research content on a broad variety of topics.
The Generalist Research Analyst will be a member of the Portfolio Analysis, Advice Tools and Policies team within SCFR and will report to the Managing Director of this team.
What you are good at
The Analyst will work closely with other analysts in the team and will also have an opportunity to interact with a large number of business partners to perform portfolio analysis and to apply investment principles to develop effective solutions and to develop generalist research to address the needs of Schwab’s internal representatives and clients alike. Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop expertise in the technology and tools landscape in the investment industry and support Schwab’s efforts to launch new tools or improve existing tools to support scalability and automation goals.
- Create portfolio analytics, illustrations and charts, and performing data and statistical analysis to summarize key points related to broad investment topics
- Read, analyze and write research memos and other documents summarizing findings and recommendations
- Create reports and presentations, e.g. PowerPoint decks to summarize research and key points to present to business partners and leadership
- Provide generalist research support in areas such as modern portfolio theory, behavior finance, portfolio analysis, asset allocation, investment principles, and investor profile questionnaires
- Work with business partners on implementation of various advice tools, policies, training and other collateral
- Develop content such as charts, research papers, and memos on a variety of investing topics
- Perform other research support functions, as necessary
What you have
- Undergrad or higher degree in Investment/Finanace related stream; 5+ years of relevant experience in the investment management or broker-dealer industry required
- CFA or progress towards CFA designation is highly desirable
- Familiarity with modern tools and technology platforms used in financial planning, investment management, and portfolio analysis
- Strong analytical, critical-thinking and quantitative skills (including Excel and databases)
- Understanding of how technology can be leveraged to create more automation, higher efficiency, and better simplicity in a) supporting 20+ million clients Schwab has and b) supporting 3000+ client-facing reps and c) other business partners, as needed
- Strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail and the ability to work efficiently
- Dynamic relationship building and partnerships skills in cross-functional teams
- Effective written and verbal communication skills to communicate with team members, partners and senior leaders
- Familiarity with SQL, SAS, R, Python and Agile methodology is desirable
At Schwab, “Own Your Tomorrow” embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees unleash their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in disrupting a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth. We’re a modern financial services firm that stands apart from the industry, where you can go as far as your ambition takes you.
Hear from employees: What’s it like to work at Schwab!
The benefits of working at Schwab : a package designed to empower your health, wealth, career and life. Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued.
As an equal employment opportunity employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. (Please click here to see policy.)
Schwab is also an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. We believe diversity and inclusion are part of our success as a company and our purpose of serving every client with passion and integrity.